A recent report from the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that around half a billion people worldwide are living with genital herpes, and several million are living with an oral herpes infection . And on top of that, most of these people are actually unaware they have the infection.
The herpes simplex virus (HSV) is categorized into two types: herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). While HSV-1 is commonly associated with oral herpes (maybe better known as the common cold sore), it can also cause genital herpes. HSV-2 on the other hand is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) and causes genital herpes. Apart from a physical exam, both types of herpes can be diagnosed with a herpes blood test such as LetsGetChecked’s at-home Herpes Test which can be done from home.
Can you test for herpes at home?
Herpes affects millions of people worldwide and while there is no cure for the infection, detection and the right treatment can help prevent or shorten outbreaks - it will also make it less likely for a person to pass the infection on to their partner.
While some healthcare providers may diagnose herpes with a physical exam, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in some cases they will take a herpes blood test which can check for herpes antibodies. If you would prefer to test from the comfort of home, the most reliable way is with an at-home Herpes Test.
LetsGetChecked’s at-home Herpes Test can detect herpes simplex antibodies and can test for both HSV-1 and HSV-2. It’s important to wait up to 12 weeks after the time of exposure before taking the test. Antibodies can take a while to become detectable so waiting will make sure you get the most accurate results. Of course, if you’re sexually active - regular testing is a must.
The test will arrive in discreet packaging with a return envelope and clear instructions. Online results will be available within 5 days and our dedicated clinical team will be available to answer any questions you may have throughout the process. Should you need more information about taking your sample, you can find out more here.
What are the indicators of herpes?
Herpes can cause pain, itching, and sores in your genital area though sometimes, like many other STIs, you may experience no symptoms at all - making it extremely important to practice safe sex and test regularly.
If you do experience symptoms, they may include:
- Pain or itching in your genital area
- Small red bumps or tiny white blisters
If you’ve been experiencing symptoms of Herpes, taking a test is the best way to know more. The most reliable way to check for Herpes from home is with an at-home Herpes Test. Our herpes test looks for the HSV-1 and HSV-2 virus using a finger prick blood sample. The process is simple:
- The test is shipped directly to you by next day delivery
- Activate your test and answer a few health-related questions
- Your health record will be reviewed by a medical team member and should you need any support services, they will be provided
- Collect your sample at a time that suits you
- Send your sample back to our laboratory using the pre-paid shipping label provided
- Your sample will be processed in an anonymous and timely manner
- Your results will be reviewed by our team of doctors. A member of our nursing team will contact you to deliver your results, discuss any next steps and offer prescriptions in some cases
You should consider taking the LetsGetChecked Herpes Test if:
- You used a needle or syringe to inject drugs into your body that someone with herpes has already used
- You become sexually active
- You have had unprotected sex
- You are experiencing symptoms of a sexually transmitted disease
- You are entering into a new sexual relationship
- You have received a notification from a previous partner that they are infected
- If you suspect that you have an active herpes infection, a swab by a healthcare provider may be required